SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK (INN)
Flightglobal an information based website related to the aviation and aerospace industries. have listed out widely used Top 10 military aircraft types, Interestingly India operates 4 military aircraft types and 2 military aircraft types currently are in the process of procurement.
Criteria for selection are based on Production numbers of the aircraft type and how widely it is used and in operation around the globe with countries around the world. Flightglobal list of Top 10 widely used military aircraft types are …
- 1. Sikorsky S-70/UH-60 Helicopter – 3,600 in service, 2,645 of them by the US Army and Navy.
- 2. Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighter – 2,691 in service. The most popular fighter aircraft among the countries of NATO and its allies.
- 3. Mil Mi-18/17 Helicopter – 2,469 in service, 518 of them in Russia’s military.
- 4. Bell UH-1/212/412 Helicopter – 1,845 in service. Nicknamed the “Huey”. Flown by 36 countries.
- 5. Boeing F-18 Fighter — 1,575 in service. Has seen several modernizations over its production lifespan.
- 6. Lockheed Martin C-130/L-100 Transport Aircraft – 1,143 in service. Workhorse military transport first introduced to the US military in the 1950s. 549 in use by the US military. Flown by 64 other nations around the globe.
- 7. Boeing AH-64 Helicopter – 1,083 in service. The famous Apache attack helicopter has seen several modernizations since its introduction in the mid-1980s. The US Army operates 756 helicopters, with 11 other nations operating the craft.
- 8. Mil Mi-24/35 Attack Helicopter – 897 units in service, 310 in Russia.
- 9. Boeing CH-47 Transport Helicopter – 882 in service, 534 of them by the US army, many of the rest of NATO countries.
- 10. The Sukhoi Su-27/30 Fighter Aircraft — 874 in service, 326 in the Russian air force and navy.
Mil Mi-18/17: India operates close to 200 Mil Mi-18/17 variants across military branches and his considered as a workhorse in Medium category helicopters. IAF is still taking deliveries of latest upgraded Mi-17-V even in 2015.
Lockheed Martin C-130: IAF currently has a fleet of 5 C-130J, will be ordering 6 more + One for the aircraft lost to accident recently. IAF has adequate infrastructure to operate 18 aircrafts already in place at Hindon Air Force Station located near Loni Ghaziabad in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Boeing AH-64 Helicopter: India currently is in the process of acquiring 22 AH-64 Attack Helicopters for IAF while India will be placing follow-on order of 39 AH-64D Apache helicopters in addition to the 22 now being negotiated for Indian Army aviation corps .
Boeing CH-47: India currently is in the process of acquiring 15 CH-47F Chinook heavy lift helicopters for the Indian Air Force .
Mil Mi-24/35 Attack Helicopters: Indian air force operates 2 squadrons (No.104 Firebirds and No.125 Gladiators) of Mi-35s gunship helicopters. But this Gunships are now 30 years old and likely to be retired in next few years from active services.
Sukhoi Su-27/30 Fighter Aircraft: IAF currently has a fleet of 150 Advance variant of Sukhoi-30MKI and have placed orders for 272 aircrafts with HAL in India, With stalled MMRCA negotiation we might see further additional orders of Sukhoi-30MKI.
India might be among few countries in the world which operates both Russian and American military aircraft types in its current fleet which are in large scale production and are widely used around the world .