Chinese ambassador to India Luo Zhaohui expressed confidence on Sunday that the issue of ban on Jaish–Mohammed (JeM) chief Masood Azhar will be resolved, reports ANI. This comes four days after Beijing blocked a move at the United Nations Security Council to ban the head of the terror organisation which claimed the Pulwama attack that killed 40 jawans.
“This matter (Masood Azhar on UNSC 1267 list) will be resolved. This is only a technical hold, which means there is time for continued consultations. It will be resolved, believe me,” Chinese Ambassador to India Luo Zhaohui told ANI.
Earlier on Thursday, China blocked the latest international move to designate Azhar as a global terrorist at the UNSC, allowing a major bilateral irritant with India to fester.
This prompted some permanent members of the UN Security Council to say that they would “pursue other actions” to counter China’s continued opposition to designating Masood Azhar.
“This is the fourth time that China has placed a hold on this listing,” a Security Council diplomat said pointedly. “China should not prevent the Committee from doing the job the Security Council has entrusted it to do. China’s move to hold the listing is inconsistent with its own stated goals of combating terrorism and furthering regional stability in South Asia.
When asked about the reason for blocking the move initiated by the US, France and UK, foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said China always carries out “thorough and in-depth” investigation of the applications to the UN sanctions committee.
A statement issued by the external affairs ministry in New Delhi expressed “disappointment” at the UN’s Islamic State and al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee being unable to come to a decision on the move to sanction Azhar “on account of a member placing the proposal on hold”.